I’ll just come right out and say it: the Amazon Black Friday sale can be confusing, even for the seasoned sale sniffers here at MH. After reading the online megastore’s press release each year, we know we’re going to get a ton of questions from readers about when certain items would go on sale, how long each sale would last, and how to know what kinds of sales to expect on what days.
The short answer to all of these questions is: we don’t know for sure. While the press release mentioned Seven Days of Black Friday Deals”, their Black Friday “ad”only says that the deals listed “will be available on various dates and times. So, when exactly are the best sales happening? Now? We’re just as confused as you are.
1. Get yourself an Amazon Prime membership ASAP.
Prime members can get exclusive early access to select Amazon device deals when shopping with Alexa beginning on 11/17 at 9pm PT through November 21 at 9pm PT. If that sounds pretty good to you, just ask “Alexa, what are my deals?” (Or you can visit amazon.com/voiceshopping. Either works.)
Prime members also get access to select Black Friday lightning deals 30 minutes before the general public. While we don’t (and probably won’t) know exactly what these deals will be until they’re posted on the site, Amazon said in its press release that, “Prime members can shop thousands of Lightning Deals with 30-minute early access …” so it’s possible that many of the season’s most popular items could be completely snatched up by Prime members before the the peasants without Prime memberships get so much as a shot at buying them.
If you’re not willing to shell out $99 for a yearlong membership just to get early access to Black Friday deals — don’t worry, you may not have to! In the past, Amazon has offered a one-day $20 discount on Prime right around Black Friday.
Amazon also offers a 30-day free trial Prime membership, so you can sign up today, use it throughout the month, and cancel it after Black Friday is over if you so desire. Or if you’ve exhausted your free trial privileges but don’t want to commit to an annual membership, sign up for just one month of basic Prime for $12.95 and cancel when you’re done.
2. Download the Amazon and Prime Now Apps to “Watch this Deal”
If you weren’t into the lengthy process of tracking deals I outlined in my previous tip, you have yet another reason to jump on the app downloading bandwagon. As we mentioned above, if you use the app, you don’t need to make a handwritten list or set reminders on your phone for when each sale is going to start, because the app will do it for you. Check out the Sneak Peek page in the app to see some of what’s coming up, then tap on “Watch this Deal” to get an automatic notification to your mobile device when the sale goes live. This is the closest you’ll get to knowing which Amazon Black Friday deals are coming up.
3. Check back often and lean on us!
You might notice that none of the deals in the picture above have any prices on them, and that’s because the sale prices aren’t posted until the deal goes live. If that stresses you out, check how much the item is currently selling for and ask yourself whether you’d be willing to pay that price. You know the sale price is going to be significantly lower, so if the current price seems fair or even just a bit over your budget, it’s probably safe to say you’ll be OK paying the sale price.
You also never know when Amazon is going to bust out a crazy deal without warning, so as tedious as it may seem, checking the page or the app as often as you can is probably in your best interest. Experienced shoppers might know about the Amazon price tracking apps and websites that claim to do this work for you, but they’re usually buggy and hard to use. I tried out a few during last year’s sale didn’t get any kind of notification when my item went on sale, so I don’t recommend relying on these tools.
So what DO we know about the 2018 Amazon Black Friday sale?
We know what *some* of the sales are going to be, and we’ve listed them below for you to peruse. Again, we don’t know when these deals will go on sale, and we don’t know how long it will take until they’re sold out. Some of the deals look decent to us, but to be honest, Black Friday is never Amazon’s finest hour.
- Save $25.99 on All-New Echo Dot, only $24.00
- Save $20 on Echo Dot Kids Edition, only $49.99 – and save $110 total when you buy
- three Echo Dot Kids Edition devices, only $99.97
- Save $30.99 on Echo (2nd generation), only $69 – and save $80 total when you buy two Echo (2nd generation) devices, only $119.98
- Save $30.99 on Echo (RED) edition, only $69.00 –for every Echo (RED) edition sold Amazon will donate $10 to the Global Fund
- Save $40 on All-New Echo Plus, only $109.99
- Save $40 on Echo Spot, only $89.99 – and save $100 total when you buy two Echo Spot devices, only $159.98
- Save $50 on All-New Echo Show, only $179.99 – and save $120 total when you buy two All-New Echo Show devices, only $339.98
- Add an Amazon Smart Plug to any Echo device for only $5
- Save $15 on Fire TV Stick 4K with all-new Alexa Voice Remote, only $34.99
- Save $60 on Fire TV Cube with Far-Field Voice Control and 4K UHD/HDR, only $59.99
- Save $50 on Fire TV Recast 500 GB with two tuners, only $179.99—and save an additional $10 when you purchase Fire TV Recast 1 TB with four tuners, only $219.99
- Save $50 on Toshiba 32” 720p HD Smart TV – Fire TV Edition, only $129.99
- Save $60 on Insignia 39” 1080p Full HD Smart TV – Fire TV Edition, only $189.99
- Save $100 on Toshiba 50“ 4K Ultra HD Smart TV – Fire TV Edition, only $299.99
- Save $20 on Fire 7 tablet with Alexa, only $29.99
- Save $30 on Fire 7 Kids Edition tablet, only $69.99
- Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8 tablet with Alexa Hands-Free, only $49.99
- Save $40 on All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition tablet, only $89.99
- Save $50 on Fire HD 10 tablet with Alexa Hands-Free, only $99.99
- Save $51 on Blink XT 1-Camera System, only $78.99—and save $90on Blink XT 3-Camera System, only $229.99
- Save $60 on Ring Video Doorbell 2, only $139.00—plus, customers will have the option to add the all-new Echo Dot to their purchase of the Ring Video Doorbell 2 for no additional cost
- Save over 20% on Samsung EVO Select 128GB micro SD card
- Sony’s XBR55X900F Amazon’s Choice High Performance TV (2018 Model), only $1098.00
- Sony’s XBR65X850F 65-Inch 4K TV (2018 Model), only $998.00
- Sony’s XBR75X850F 75-Inch 4K TV (2018 Model), only $1,798.00
- Save over 15% on select Samsung QLED 2018 TVs, now through Cyber Monday
- Save over 15% on select Samsung NU8 series 2018 TVs, now through Cyber Monday
- Save up to 15% on LG Electronics 2018 Smart 4K TVs
- Save big on select Chromebooks
- Save big on Acer predator Gaming Laptop
- Save big on Cyberpower Gaming Desktop
- Save big on Dell 34.1″ curved gaming monitor
- Save big on sceptre 27″ curved gaming monitor
- Save 25% on HP Sprocket Portable Photo Printer, only $89.99
- Save 50% on HP OfficeJet 5255 Wireless Printer, only $49.99
- Save up to 40% on select top toys from Barbie, Hot Wheels and more
- Save up to 40% on select baby and preschool toys from Fisher-Price
- Save up to 30% on select strategy board games
- Save up to 30% on select party games for grown-ups
- Save up to 30% off the littleBits Avengers Hero Inventor Kit
- Save on Osmo Genius Kits and more learning toys
- Save big on Amazon Exclusives including the Radio Flyer My 1st Scooter, VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker, and more
- Save big on building toys including the KNEX Imagine – Click and Construct Building Set with 35 Models
- Save up to 50% off men’s and women’s fashion from Amazon brands, including Amazon Essentials, Goodthreads and Daily Ritual, now starting at under $15
- Save up to 40% on select adidas Apparel, Bags, Shoes and Accessories
- Save up to 50% off select Denim, including styles from J.Crew, DL1961 and True Religion
- Save up to 50% off select Calvin Klein Underwear
- Save up to 70% off select Samsonite luggage
- 30% off select fashion, including styles from Alo Yoga, New Balance, Hugo Boss, Lacoste and The Children’s Place
- Save up to 50% off select Izod Men’s Tops & Bottoms
- Save up to 35% off Best-Sellers from select Top Watch Brands
Household and Home Furnishings
- Save up to 25% on gifts and accents for the home from Amazon brands, including Rivet and Stone & Beam
- Save up to 40% on office chairs from Amazon brands, including AmazonBasics, Rivet and Stone & Beam
- Save up to 25% on AmazonBasics products such as kitchenware and electronics
- Save up to 30% on everyday essentials from Amazon brands, including AmazonFresh, Solimo, and Mama Bear
- Save up to 20% on top-selling sous vides
- Save up to 40% on select blenders
- Save up to 35% on select mattresses, furniture and area rugs
- Save 20% or more on select Now House by Jonathan Adler furniture
- Save up to 30% on select air fryers
- Save up to 40% on select coffee makers
- Save 30% on Traeger Renegade Pro Wood Pellet Grill
- Save up to 40% on Holiday Airblown décor with Gemmy
- Save up to 35% off select Sylvania Light Bulbs
- Save up to 40% on Philips Hue Smart Lighting
- Save up to 46% off on select TP-Link products
- Save 35% on Hive Smart Thermostat with Hub
- Save $100 on a Xbox One S
- Save $100 on a Xbox One X
- Xbox One X Fallout 76 Bundle, only $429
- Xbox One X NBA 2K19 Bundle, only $429
- Xbox One S NBA 2K19 Bundle, only $229
- Xbox One S Battlefield Bundle, only $229
- Purchase Nintendo Switch for $299.99 and receive Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as a full game download code in-box at no additional cost, a $59.99 value
Audible, Music, & Books
- For a limited time, save 53% on an Audible membership for 3 months at $6.95 a month
- For a limited time, new Amazon Music Unlimited customers can get three months of the premium streaming tier for just $0.99 and enjoy unlimited access to more than 50 million songs and hands-free listening with Alexa
- Save up to 80% on select Kindle best-selling books
- Get 3 months of Kindle Unlimited for $0.99 – Enjoy unlimited access to over 1 million books, popular magazines and thousands of books with Audible narration. Offer valid for new subscribers only
- Save over 20% on PetSafe Laser Chase Automatic Laser Cat Toy
- Save 20% on Solvit PetSafe PupSTEP Plus Pet Stairs, Foldable Steps for Dogs and Cats
Sports & Outdoors
- Save on Suunto Spartan Trainer Wrist HR – Black and more
- Save up to 26% on all Assault Fitness cardio equipment
- Save up to 20% on the new FITBENCH Flex
- Save up to 22% on the Life Fitness IC1 exercise bike
- Save 20% on Thule
- Save 20% on ChargePoint Home WiFi Enabled Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger
- Save 25% on Reese Explore ProSeries 63153 Rambler
- Save $25 on all DieHard tires
Small and Medium-sized Businesses on Amazon Handmade, Amazon Exclusives and Amazon Launchpad
- Save over 50% on Ongaro Beauty Organic Neck & Décolleté Cream
- Save over 30% on The Gentlemen’s Beard Premium Beard Balm Leave-in Conditioner & Softener
- Save over 20% on GoPets Premium Cat Scratcher
- Save over 20% on REVEAL Portable Wireless Bluetooth Bamboo Speaker & Phone Charger
- Save up to 20% on Two Tumbleweeds Foodie & Mixology Dice
- Save 20% on Cupology Mugs
- Save 20% on Little Bee of Connecticut Handmade Décor
- Save up to 30% on select party games for grown-ups including Exploding Kittens
Whole Foods Market
- Through November 22, customers will be able to purchase select organic ($3.49/lb) and no antibiotic ($2.49/lb) turkeys, and Prime members will save even more on turkeys ($2.99/lb organic/$1.99/lb no antibiotic). Customers can reserve their turkeys in advance at wholefoodsmarket.com. Prime members who place their orders in advance online will be eligible for the lower prices on turkeys.
- Through November 22, customers who are not yet Prime members can receive $20 off their next Whole Foods Market in-store purchase of $20 or more when they sign up for Prime at amazon.com/PrimeSavings. New members can try Prime free for 30 days, full promotion details are at amazon.com/PrimeSavings.
So how do you feel? Are you adequately prepared for Amazon Black Friday? Do you have any more burning questions we can answer for you? Let us know in the comments, and we’ll try to help however we can!